[argyllcms] Re: Argyllcms 1.0.1 packaged in fedora-devel

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:26:47 -0700
On 2008 Jul 27, at 1:06 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 21:46 +0200, edmund ronald wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry,  there is  something here  I don't  understand: If I
>> ***REQUIRE*** unchanging semantics as far as possible, bugs and
>> all, can I enforce that without static linking ?
>
> I'm sorry, but  unchanging does not exist (and  I've worked with
> people who stockpiled components in nitrogen for decades).
>
> You either  learn to manage changes  or hit a big  painful brick
> wall sooner or later.

If I'm not  mistraken, edmund (and the others)  is (are) concerned
with unknown and unexpected changes outside of his (their) control
and  ability to  test  for. And, since  shared libraries  *aren't*
always backwards  compatible, never  mind that the  version number
says that  it should be,  he needs a  way to specify,  say, ``Only
version 3.1.4 of libFoo, nothing newer or older.''  After all, the
bug fixed  in 3.1.5 may  well break the workaround  edmund already
coded.

Of course,  the next version  of edmund's code will,  if possible,
use 3.1.5 instead  of the b0rked 3.1.4. But changing  the code out
from underneath him...well, that's the  sort of problem you create
by  trying  to solve  the  limitations  of the  previous  decade's
computers.

Cheers,

b&