[argyllcms] Re: Argyllcms 1.0.1 packaged in fedora-devel

  • From: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:34:37 +0200

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 12:14 -0700, Ben Goren wrote:

> But, as you write, the maintainers  have over a decade invested in
> byte-pinching and tight central control mechanisms, and are loathe
> to change  their ways.

We don't force anyone to use our system. People who disagree with is are
welcome to create their system. You can create yours.

So far none of the distro naysayers has managed to create anything that
attracted more than a confidential number of users. So our system may
not be unperfect but it works which has high pragmatic value.

The Apple system only works because of the huge financial flux which is
used to hide its problems. Distributions manage to get by with little or
no funding. That says a lot about their efficiency.

And before you pretend I don't know what I'm writing about, I've worked
both inside a proprietary fork-it company and as an integrator for one
of the top-four worldwide software behemots.

They were all barely managing to keep their private forks of common
software libs above the waterline (and only for a small set of approved
customer configurations).

--
Nicolas Mailhot