[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS V1.6.1 released.

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:01:53 +1000

János, Tóth F. wrote:

Hi,

> So, may be this is why I often had "inconsistent readings" kind of errors
> during chart readings when I was sure I moved the CM correctly (from paper
> white to paper white, smoothly and slowly, but not too slow, along a locked
> plastic slider on a drawing board) and the printer wasn't "that bad".

Maybe, maybe not. V1.6.1 may be better or worse in this respect. To improve
the consistency I've slowed the scan rate down from 140Hz to 55Hz to make
the integration time the same as the spot read mode. That means it will
be less tolerant of scans that are too quick. Increasing the integration time
increases the signal level by 2.5, which helps drown out the electrical
interference
that was causing inaccuracy and inconsistency in the dark scan readings.
[The i1pro doesn't seem to have this sort of problem, so it's maximum
 scan rate can be used without affecting the accuracy.]

You can always modify the consistency threshold with the -T parameter.

> Should I declare any printer profiles I made since I updated to v1.5 unsafe
> or even false?

That's up to you. It's probably best to do a check of one profile (say one
with dark blacks) and see if there is any visual difference.