[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS V1.2.0 has been released

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 00:38:59 +0100

Hi :)

On 30/07/10 06:54, Graeme Gill wrote:

I'm pleased to announce the V1.2.0 release of ArgyllCMS.
This is a feature and bugfix release following V1.1.1.

Excellent news :)

* Re-worked gamut mapping to improve perceptual intent saturation
levels, as well as improve highlight and shadow contrast.
Added fine  tuning to improve both smoothness
and the precision with which the source is mapped to the destination.

First impressions for this are very good - I've only tested with one RGB printer profile so far, but dark blues and reds seem to be significantly more saturated than before.

Just one fly in the ointment - the viewing condition switches seem to be behaving oddly.

I made three copies of a .ti3 file, and created three profiles as follows:

/path/to/1.1.1/bin/colprof -cmd -dpp -S <srgb> 111_md
/path/to/1.2.0/bin/colprof -cmd -dpp -S <srgb> 120_md
/path/to/1.2.0/bin/colprof -cmt -dpp -S <srgb> 120_mt

then converted my testcard to each profile using the Perceptual intent, and then back to sRGB using Rel. Colorimetric.

The results are here:
http://blackfiveimaging.co.uk/temp/111md_proof.jpg
http://blackfiveimaging.co.uk/temp/120md_proof.jpg
http://blackfiveimaging.co.uk/temp/120mt_proof.jpg

Note the minimal difference between 120mt and 120md - and that 120md is marginally the darker of the two.

The ti3 file, if it helps:
http://blackfiveimaging.co.uk/temp/120_mt.ti3

Apart from that the new mapping is impressive, and looks like it'll be well worth the vastly increased calculation time!

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson