[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS V1.2.0 has been released

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 01:13:44 +0100

Hi :)

On 05/08/10 04:01, Graeme Gill wrote:

OK, I've investigated in a bit more detail, and yes indeed, the viewing
condition setting has a bug. Basically "mt" is really "pc",
"mb" is "mt", "md" is "mb" etc.

Ah, OK - good to know I wasn't imagining it!

So one workaround is to use "-cjm" to get the effect you want,
or the other is to use -cs:m, since this is the dominant difference
between mt and md.

OK, thanks - I shall try those and see what happens.

[Are you getting images to look good on your monitor and then printing
them out ?

In some cases, yes - in others they're straight off the camera, or from a third-party source.

Would you describe your monitor viewing situation as "dim"
rather than "typical" ? ]

Somewhere in between, I guess. It's probably towards the brighter end of "domestic" lighting, would be slightly dim for office lighting. I do keep the brightness of the monitor fairly low, though - in a deliberate attempt to make screen-to-print matching easier. With absolute colorimetric intent this is pretty successful too - see:
http://blackfiveimaging.co.uk/temp/ScreenPrintMatch.jpg
(The visible discrepancies there come from differing illumination angle, the prints not wanting to stay flat, and the camera seeing colours slightly differently from the eye - the match is closer still in "real life")

As far as photo printing goes, though, my goal isn't to produce prints that look perfect in a D50 light booth - it's to produce photo prints that look pretty good even under typical domestic (i.e. lousy!) lighting, and in the absence of a -dprintunderlousylighting flag, -cmd gets pressed into service!

Loving illumread, by the way!
It would be nice to be able to average several reading of the real lightsource, though - because there are actually several in here - a fluorescent tube providing main lighting, and a Colour Confidence Grafilight providing some high-CRI light too - then daylight in the daytime of course. I can only point the instrument at one light source at a time... ;)

Thanks as always for the great work

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson