[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS V1.1.0 RC2 is now available

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:53:52 +1100

Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
Another couple of non-urgent wishlist features, by the way:
When chartread detects that you've scanned, say, strip D instead of strip C, the user currently has to discard perfectly good measurements for strip D, read strip C, then re-read strip D. Any chance of an option to tell chartread to keep those erroneous readings and use them for strip D?

I'm not sure this is a good idea. The fact that you've read a strip
other than the one you intended means you made a mistake. The softwares
guess at which strip it actually is may not be correct, so the safest
thing to do is to discard the reading and carefully read the intended
strip. That way you know to ignore a bogus warning about it being the
wrong strip !

Also, when I come across a stubborn instrument or damaged testchart, and find that there's a strip I can't read, I currently have to abort reading the entire chart. This is particularlly galling if the unreadable strip is one of the last ones! Under those circumstances, I'd find it very useful to be able to skip the bad strip, read the rest of the chart and simply make do without that strip.

OK, I've been thinking about this as well. The next release I've re-worked
the chartread strip reading mode to allow navigation amongst the strips
so that you can move on from a strip that doesn't want to read, as well
as save the chart out without reading all the strips. You can also
resume reading a partially read chart using the new -r option.
(you could also resume reading the chart using the -p option to
 read a stubborn strip patch by patch if you want.)