[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS V1.1.0 RC2 is now available

  • From: Roland Mas <lolando@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:10:58 +0100

Richard Hughes, 2009-12-11 10:29:53 +0000 :

> 2009/12/11 Roland Mas <lolando@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> That's about exactly what I already do with my "midstream" branch.  It
>> currently mostly includes the autotools conversion, the removal of a
>> non-free RFC, and the removal of the custom libusb stuff (as well as
>> patches taken from Graeme when a bugfix is published on this list
>> between releases).  I haven't touched the udev or policykit stuff yet,
>> but I think it would be a good place for them too.
>
> Yup, I think I would be more militant than you if the decision were
> mine; for instance, does anything other than argyll tools use jncf?
> Because if that is removed, you can remove yajl which is thousands of
> lines of code less to ship.

  I'd like to remove the embedded copy of yajl and use the “standard”
version as shipped by distros, yes, but that's not possible since the
one in Argyll contains patches that are actually used by Argyll.
If/when these patches make it into a released version of yajl, I'll
fix the build system to use it instead.

> Is there anyway you could push your tree onto github (even if with no
> version history) so I could fork what you've done and we can share
> code? My bzr is bad, and I find it too difficult to use. Using github
> would allow other distros (Mandriva?) to join the effort and just fork
> what we've done and contribute back patches.

  Joining the effort is just a matter of getting an account on
alioth.debian.org and requesting membership in the pkg-phototools
project, whose bzr repo hosts all the branches I'm using.  I'd be happy
to see other names beside mine in the commit logs.

  As for git: I've used it a few times, and pulled my hair out every
single time if frustration, whereas I find bzr just works.  I'm trying
to help the bzr-git author to finish the code that allows accessing a
bzr repo over git+ssh://, but I seem to be the only person interested in
that so it doesn't make much progress.  If you know Python, I'm sure
help would be welcome there too :-)

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Au royaume des aveugles, il y a des borgnes à ne pas dépasser.
  -- in Soeur Marie-Thérèse des Batignoles (Maëster)