[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS V1.1.0 RC1 is now available

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 14:15:25 +0100

Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
> My own experiments with GPLin have been using Gutenprint with pretty
> much everything turned off - basically I feed in n-channel data and
> Gutenprint just dithers it and puts it on the page. I've found I need
> a quite extreme gamma adjustment [...]

Well, I'm not surprised. Dispersed halftones can indeed result in a
quite large dot gain, particularly on printers whose dots (or ink drops)
have a (sometimes significantly) larger diameter than 1.0 /
dot_placement_resolution.

And I tend to agree - when the "gamma" value is getting too large then a
wedge with a linearly spaced steps in device space is possibly no longer
optimal for characterizing the response wrt. a perceptual metric.

Regards,
Gerhard