[argyllcms] Re: Argyll bundled with professional proofing solution

  • From: "Gerhard Fuernkranz" <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:46:30 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:51:51 +1000
Von: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: [argyllcms] Re: Argyll bundled with professional proofing solution

> This does not address a package though. A package is a work in itself,
> and if the package is composed of different programs, one of which
> depends on another in the package for some of it's features
> (irrespective of how they communicate), then the features of the package
> are certainly derived from that program, and hence the package
> is a derived work. See section 0 of the GNU licence.

Graeme, but what about this paragraph in the GPL FAQ?

>>   I'd like to incorporate GPL-covered software in my
>>   proprietary system. Can I do this?
>>
>>   [...]
>>
>>       However, in many cases you can distribute the
>>   GPL-covered software alongside your proprietary system.
>>   To do this validly, you must make sure that the free
>>   and non-free programs communicate at arms length, that
>>   they are not combined in a way that would make them
>>   effectively a single program.

This rather suggets that it is sufficient to separate the GPL and non-GPL
"programs", such the the non-GPL programs don't contain GPL code.

And the definition

>>    You may modify your copy or copies of the Program
>>    or any portion of it, thus forming a work based
>>    on the Program [...]

in the license itself IMO also suggest, that a "work based on the program" does
not refer to another program which makes use of functionality provided by the
GPL-ed program, but rathers refers to modifications/extensions of a GPL-ed
program.

Regards,
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Fuernkranz
nospam456@xxxxxx

NEU: GMX DSL Sofort-Start-Set â blitzschnell ins Internet!
Echte DSL-Flatrate ab 0,- Euro* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl