[argyllcms] Re: Argyll bundled with professional proofing solution

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:41:41 +0200

Graeme Gill wrote:
> As long as any software that makes use of, or depends
> on Argyll for its operation is also delivered with a ce
> GNU compatible licence (which means making the source
> code for that other software available too).

Graeme,

IMO only "programs" which contain GPL components must be be delivered
under a GPL compatible license too. The interpretation of the FSF seems
to be that a "program" comprises all components which run in the same
address space (with the exception of usual standard libraries, like e.g.
libc). This implies that only LINKING other software with GPL components
requires to distribute the other software under a GPL compatible license
too, while this restriction does not apply if the other software just
executes GPL programs as separate processes. Any modifications of GPL
components must of course be distributed under the GPL too (if
distributed at all).

I also think that distributing the sources on the web server is not
sufficient, if the binaries are distributed e.g. on CD. Either the
sources must be distributed on the CD as well (accompanying the
binaries), or the binaries must be accompanied with a WRITTEN OFFER to
provide the sources on a usual medium (such a "medium" can IMO
eventually also be a download from the server, but at least the written
offer is necessary). Details can be found in the GPL text.

Regards,
Gerhard

Disclaimer: This is no legal advice, just my opinion/interpretation.