[argyllcms] Re: Argyll and Eizo monitors: are you aware of the Eilin project?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 00:44:58 +1000

Richard Hughes wrote:
> When I played with this on the HP DreamColor, I just re-requested the
> EDID using DDC/CI and compared it to the drm EDID DM5 to match i2c
> devices to xrandr devices. I'm hoping we can do something more sane
> with wayland.

That's certainly a workaround, but is it a good idea to be communicating
i2c to an unknown device, hoping that you don't upset something
you know nothing about ?

[A similar quandary exists in automatically identifying serial instruments.
 One can certainly identify instruments on a serial port with a suitably
 crafted interrogation sequence, but will that upset a device you aren't
 intending to talk to ? ]

Graeme.