[argyllcms] Re: Argyll + Firefox

  • From: Magnus Berg <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:46:45 +0200

JimC wrote: "

"None of links, chromium, arora (uses qt-webkit), epiphany (gtk-webkit)
or any of the image viewers did any management."

If you looking for a image viewer for Linux that color manage I can recommend
Geeqie. http://geeqie.sourceforge.net/ It's not only color manage its the best,
in my opinion, image viewer o dyl you can get for Linux.

I'm really glad that this thread waked up a discussion about pros and cons with
color management. I'm a newbie, and as such a thought that Argyll should work
with the applications I had read should work. If they didn't I thought that I
did something wrong and wasted lots of time trying to fix things that couldn't
bee fixed.
As I understand it color management is more of a trial and error than real know
how. I had read a lot, on lots of places, about configuring and profiling a
monitor. But there seems not to be any common way to do it. Some say si, some
say so, Some say that you should leave your monitor setting at the factory
default some say the opposite, that you should calibrate as close to the target
profile as you can get. It's not easy, for a newbie, to know how to do it in
this mess of different advice. But I read on and try to calm down and not get
to frustrated. ;-)

Magnus Berg