[argyllcms] Re: Argyll, ColorMunki & dual display

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:16:10 +0200 (MEST)

From: 9vz5a9fmmm@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:18:42 +0000
Subject: [argyllcms] Argyll, ColorMunki & dual display
2.  Does anyone have dual-display working with a "dual" color calibrated setup?
 Can you tell me what video card and configuration (TwinView, Xinerama, XRandR) works for
you?

I currently use an nVidia video card in "Twinview" mode (DVI+HDMI outputs), and I understand TwinView does NOT let one load LUTs *per display*. So I'm contemplating a low-power dual-output ATI video card (Radeon 4xxx or 5xxx series) which I've heard DOES let you load LUTs per display/monitor.

There are two ways to use nvidia cards for multi monitor setups.

The nvidia propriarity driver works perfectly with Compiz and thus with the CompIcc plugin[1]. A distribution like openSUSE allows to install all needed components per thierd party repositories. A LUT setup is not desireable with this setup. The ICC profile does the calibration and colour correction through GPU texture shaders in one step. The drawback is that all applications see currently only the desktop document colour space, which is sRGB. Applications have to be updated before they can use the native device gamut again.

The nouveau driver provides some basic performance. The driver allowes to set video card lookup tables per each output via XRandR. The desktop can only be calibrated. So its keeps video and desktop elements uncorrected. In case nouveau can be setup with Compiz, the compIcc colour server plugin should work with nouveau too.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org