[argyllcms] Re: Argyll CMS in Fedora (and Mandriva)

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:54:44 +1100

C. wrote:
The regexp for generating the HID unbinding the Huey's hid/udev entry in:
http://nim.fedorapeople.org/argyllcms/argyllcms-0.70-96-huey-hid-workaround.rules

With the patch to fix the usb_detach_kernel_driver_np() order in
spectro/usbio.c, this unbinding should be unnecessary I think.

Also even after I had done that, I was unable to access the device as a normal user due apparently to a permissions problem, though it did end up working as root, so I think there must be some other problems with the PolicyKit / SELINUX configurations
in the other files I mentioned.

Can't help you there at the moment, perhaps the udev rules would
be more effective in solving this.

I have been using the latest (169.04) beta drivers with the current update
version of xorg-X11 in Fedora 8. I used a single monitor setup for the test, and wasn't using TwinView et. al. Everything seemed to be working OK with the NVIDIA extensions, but I had no LUT access which prevented dispcal/dispwin/dispread from working. It turns out that all the extensions were present / functional
in the NVIDIA driver, though for some unknown reason I didn't have:
Load        "extmod"
in the appropriate (or any) section of my Xorg.conf.
This omission (non intuitively wrt. nomenclature) prevented Xv and
the XF86Video LUT access extensions that ArgyllCMS apparently depends
on from being functionally available and thus caused the aforementioned
ArgyllCMS utilities to fail.

Thanks for that hint. There have been a couple of odd reports
of the XF86Video extension simply "not working" from people,
so perhaps you have hit upon the explanation.