[argyllcms] Re: Argyll CMS in Fedora (and Mandriva)

  • From: Ludovico Fischer <ranucel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:02:14 +0100

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 10:44 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le dimanche 16 décembre 2007 à 00:12 +0100, Ludovico Fischer a écrit :
> > On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 13:46 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> > >
> > > Likely the Eye-One Pro will be the device that gives problems,
> > > since it is the one that needs to have two threads accessing
> > > different USB end points. The problems occur when the i1pro switch
> > > read thread transaction times out.
> > >
> > > Graeme Gill.
> > >
> > Well, I've compiled a version of Argyll on Ubuntu Alpha using all the
> > patches from Nicolas Mailhot, ad the last patch from Graeme Gill. If I
> > try to use it with the Eye One Pro rev D:
> > - I plug the instrument in
> > -dispread -?
> > Set communication port from the following list (default 1)
> >     1 = 'usb:/bus0/dev0 (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro)'
> > -dispcal -r
> > dispcal: Error - Configuring USB port 'usb:/bus0/dev0 (GretagMacbeth i1
> > Pro)' to 1 failed with -1 (could not set config 1: Operation not
> > permitted)
>
> Please check the device permissions. If it's not right that may indicate
> either Ubuntu is not using PolicyKit yet or there is a problem in the
> rules file for this device.

Policykit got merged about a month ago. Putting the .fdi
in /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty substitutes udev rules
configuration, right? Permissions are crw-rw-r-- 1 root root. Because,
of course, if I add udev rules and add the device to the 'plugdev'
group, things work without sudo. Or do I have to put the .fdi file
somewhere else?  Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of dated(?)
information on usb on Linux out there (e.g. configuring hotplug), and
discussions of Policykit I can find are too high level (e.g description
of the codebase). It's of course possible that the Ubuntu version is
either buggy or set-up differently than Fedora.
> > -I then run it as root and I can start the measurement normally.
> > -after this, the output of ./dispcal -r (non root) becomes
> > dispcal: Error - icoms - set_ser_port: port number out of range!
> > -while as root, I get the familiar
> > dispcal: Error - tcgetattr failed with 'Input/output error'
> > Now to be able to run a measurement 'normally' (as root) again, I have
> > to either:
> > -unplug and plug the USB cable in again
> > - run sudo dispcal -r a number of times until it stops giving the
> > tgeattr error; sometimes it's only twice, sometimes six; I can't
> > uderstand this; maybe it's a function of the time between tries?
>
> It might be worth reporting this to linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to see
> what people there think
I was going to do it, but then I saw you already posted.

Ludovico Fischer