[argyllcms] Re: Argyll CMS as a spectroradiometer

  • From: Jeremy Pronk <jeremypronk.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 17:39:06 +1100

I got in contact with the author of the paper. He confirmed that the
increased dynamic range does not increase the gamut size as expected. The
increase in gamut size is attributed to "However, we could achieve a higher
color gamut by utilizing high-quality Kodak transparent films, compared to
the ordinary Gretagmacbeth target. So the gamut size is achieved by
colorants."

I also queried the results under different illumination and hope to hear
back soon.

On 21 October 2010 23:14, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Contrast that with the procedure described in the paper. A small number
> of their test patches used real world spectra under a realistic illuminant
> (48), and the vast majority (576) uses color film (that has only three
> colorants,
> and therefore produced colors with spectra that have only three degrees of
> freedom), with some unnamed backlit table illumination (fluorescent ?).

My understanding of the paper is that the backlit patches are the only ones
used in the calibration process. The reflective Macbeth patches are used
only as a test set to confirm the result of the calibration under a
different illuminant.

Cheers, Jeremy