[argyllcms] Re: Argyll CMS 64 bit files and Microsoft Security Essentials

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:47:13 +1000

Philip Reed wrote:

> Whenever I try to extract the 64bit archive for Argyll v1.5.0 or v1.5.1 to
> any location on my computer, Real-time Protection of MSE stops.

Yes - MSE has a bug. I've reported it to Microsoft. Not much I can
do about bugs in Microsoft code though.

> This behaviour is very odd and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it or
> has any ideas?

A couple of other people have noted it. MSE shouldn't crash when it
scans a file - it's poor form for security software to do so!

> Also, do I need to run the 64bit version of Argyll with 64 bit Windows 7 and
> DispcalGUI or can I run the 32 bit version of Argyll with my Windows 64 bit?

32 bit should work, you just can't use as much memory for reverse lookup
cache, and cctiff will be half the speed.

> I thought I only needed an Argyll 64bit USB driver for compatibility with
> Windows 64bit?

Yes, you need the 64 bit driver, but you should get that even from the
32 bit install.