[argyllcms] Re: Argyll 1.7 dev on OpenBSD

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 13:20:20 +0100

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:07 AM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
>
> > So those patches adapted for general use should be:
> >
> > https://encrypted.pcode.nl/files/temp/argyll17-dev-openbsd.patch
>
> Hi, a few of those patches need explanation before I will incorporate them:

Fair enough.

>  -   EXEMODE         ?= 711 ;
>  +   EXEMODE         ?= 755 ;
>
> Why ?

I was surprised to see 711 there, as 755 is the standard mode for
executables just about everywhere, as far as I know.

Since I use a self packaged version of Argyll on Ubuntu, it's the Debian
packaging code that actually fixes up these modes, so that's probably why I
never noticed this before.

> -       if $(HOST64) {
> +       if $(OS) = OPENBSD {
> +           LibWinD = /usr/X11R6/lib ;
> +       } else if $(HOST64) {
>             if [ GLOB /usr/X11R6/lib : libX11.so ] {
>                 LibWinD = /usr/X11R6/lib ;
>
> Why does BSD need this ?  - ie why doesn't GLOB /usr/X11R6/lib : libX11.so
> succeed
> and trigger the LibWinD = /usr/X11R6/lib ; anyway ?

That's actually a good point. Leave that out for the time being. I'll
retest without this.

> > While I'm sure OpenBSD isn't a particularly important platform for you to
> > support, considering the patches are trivial, I'm hoping you'd consider
> > carrying them upstream.
>
> I'm happy to add all except the above two, until they are explained.
>
> I had a go at the BSD's and gave up when I came to the conclusion that
> the USB capability is insufficient - there appears to be no way of
> timing out certain operations for instance, short of building a special
> kernel.

I can test some instruments to see how well it works once I get it to
compile.

That said, 1.6.3 already builds...

> That said, I'm still getting a build failure in plot.c:
> >
> > https://encrypted.pcode.nl/files/temp/argyll17-openbsd-buildfail.txt
> >
> > Any ideas about that one?
>
> plot/plot.c:1847:22: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
> plot/plot.c:1848:23: error: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
>
> Something amiss in locating the X11 headers.

Right, so I'll have a dig a bit more :)

Is there any chance you could incorporate the "good" bits already (into the
dev zip), so I have a new basepoint to test from?

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn