[argyllcms] Argyll 1.6.0 - Shallow blacks on Epson 3880

  • From: Jacek Pytowski <jpyto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 22:44:41 +0200

Hi,

I tried everything and nothing - I strongly need some
help.

I’m trying to calibrate & profile my Epson 3880 and
I’ve strange problem with shallow blacks (shallow and cold) and with details in
dark shadows (very dark ones: 0;0;0 – 24;24;24) After some investigation I’ve
found that all profiles I’ve created are a little bit strange and provide to
transformation in which input value RGB (0, 0, 0) is processed to  (5, 0,
73)!

73 on blue channel!  Nearly there is no difference
printing with BPC or without (without even is a little bit better).

I compared those results to original Epson profile for
Glossy paper and their black color is processed to output value RGB(3, 2, 4)
and on printouts looks much more better.

Details:

---------------------

* Printer: Epson 3880

* Paper: Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper

* Measurement Device: ColorMunki Photo

* Argyllcms :  1.6.0

Command lines used to create profile:

---------------------

* targen -v0 -d2 -G -g128 -e8 -B8 –f2160 -c "Epson
Stylus Pro 3880_3885_3890 PremiumSemiglossPhotoPaper.icc" my_profile

* chartread -v -H my_profile
* colprof -v -qm -cmt -dpp -S
"AdobeRGB1998.icc" my_profile

ti3 file:  http://www.dane.pixel-tech.pl/temp/my_profile.ti3.txt

Results (data):---------------------* Test image
(AdobeRGB): http://www.dane.pixel-tech.pl/temp/Full_AdobeRGB_360dpi.jpg*
Processed by original Epson profile (untagged RGB, raw
output values to printer):
http://www.dane.pixel-tech.pl/temp/ProcessedByOriginalEpsonProfile_RelativeIntent.png*
 Processed by my profile generated using Argyll (untagged
RGB, raw output values to printer):
http://www.dane.pixel-tech.pl/temp/ProcessedByArgyllProfile_RelativeIntent.png

Visual result on printouts:

---------------------

Original Epson profile:

* printout is too warm, even grays are not neutral but
details in shadows are perfect and black color is really deep.

My profile from Argyll:

* printout is very neutral (maybe even a bit cold but not
sure about this), B&W parts are also very neutral. There is problem with
details in shadows especially visible in this place:
http://screencast.com/t/1WASD69fvA
(on printout those areas are completely flat). Black color is shallow if you
compare it to this one from Epson profile.

I will be appreciate for any help, suggestion etc. I
tried a lot of different parameters but main problem with black color still
remains.

Thanks in advance

Jacek