[argyllcms] Re: Appearance, Appearance, Appearance

  • From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreau-yves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 04:35:12 -0400

Graeme,

this is from http://www.color.org/profiles/srgb_appearance.xalter

"
sRGB Appearance profile

An sRGB Appearance profile has been developed, and has been tested internally and externally.
This profile is a v4 replacement for commonly used sRGB v2 profiles. It gives better results in workflows that implement the ICC v4 specification, and is intended to be used in combination with other ICC v4 profiles.

The ICC specification allows there to be more than one Perceptual Rendering from a given source colour space. For sRGB, ICC provides the Preference and Appearance profiles, both of which provide standard color transforms from sRGB to the perceptual reference medium gamut (PRMG). These two color profiles can be thought of as re-targeting and re-purposing as described in ICC White Paper 02. The difference between these two profiles is in the Perceptual Rendering; other Rendering Intents are the same. A full description and intended use for the sRGB v4 ICC preference profile is described in ICC White Paper 26.

The features of the Appearance Profile are that it:

May be used as re-targeting in perceptual rendering intent.
Produces more color-consistent results in color reproduction on display.
Produces more pleasing results in appearance and tone scaling for most images than Colorimetric Rendering.
The Appearance profile is particularly recommended when the difference between source gamut and destination gamut is large and it is desired to 're-purpose' the image (i.e. make it optimal for the reproduction medium - see ICC White Papers 1 and 2 for more on re-purposing and re-targeting of color).

"

I don't have much of a clue of what there talking about,  I just tried it on a few image with a big bunch of out of gamut colors and as this suggest here "The Appearance profile is particularly recommended when the difference between source gamut and destination gamut is large" and the resulting transformed image looks pretty darn good, no significant change in brightness, the colors appear pretty much similar to the original colors and no more out of gamut colors, which is much better than what I obtain with the image gamut and devlink profiles by far. I admit I probably didn't do this correctly.

With the exception of being an ICC version 4 profile which isn't universally as useful as a version 2 I would think, I would have to convert to the standard V2 sRGB colorspace as a final step in this workflow. This is somewhat awkward, so I'd like to get the same result as this version 4 profile but from a version 2 profile.

My question is: how can I do that if possible using the tools that come with Argyllcms?

/Yves

On 5/28/2020 12:43 AM, Graeme Gill wrote:

Yves Gauvreau wrote:

Hi,

I found what seems to do exactly what I want the sRGB_ICC_v4_Appearance profile.
note that this relies on the other profile using the PRMG, and the result
is likely to be saturation type intent if the profiles strictly
conform to the specifications.

Is there
a way to create something similar but version 2 using Argyllcms?
Sure - you can control the perceptual table just like a device link,
with the caveats that it will only work as intended when linked
with the colorspace it is setup for, and that the overall quality
of transform will be inferior to a device link.

Cheers,

Graeme Gill.