[argyllcms] Re: Anybody successfully using a DTP51 with Mac OS X?

  • From: "Karl Heinz Kremer" <khk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:20:00 -0400

I made some progress:

It looks like I cannot get it to work on my Macs (I tried both an
Intel and a PPC Mac). The USB/Serial converter - even with the newest
driver I downloaded - does not work correctly.

I hooked the DTP51 up to a Linux box, and the communication got
established right away - no strange read errors. However, I was not
able to actually get to the part where the software would ask for the
strip.

Here is the log that I captured:

icoms: Write_Read called with 'SV^M^J'
About to write 'SV^M^J' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read called
icoms: About to return read 'X-Rite DTP51 v5127^M^J<01>' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read returning with 0x0
icoms: Write_Read Write_Read success, returning 'X-Rite DTP51 v5127^M^J<01>'
instType: Instrument type is 'Xrite DTP51'
icoms: About to set port characteristics
icoms: port characteristics set ok

icoms: Write_Read called with '^M'
About to write '^M' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read called
icoms: About to return read '<01>' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read returning with 0x0
icoms: Write_Read Write_Read success, returning '<01>'

icoms: Write_Read called with 'CE^M'
About to write 'CE^M' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read called
icoms: About to return read '<00>' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read returning with 0x0
icoms: Write_Read Write_Read success, returning '<00>'

icoms: Write_Read called with '0104CF^M'
About to write '0104CF^M' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read called
icoms: About to return read '<00>' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read returning with 0x0
icoms: Write_Read Write_Read success, returning '<00>'

icoms: Write_Read called with '30BR^M'
About to write '30BR^M' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read called
icoms: About to return read '<00>' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read returning with 0x0
icoms: Write_Read Write_Read success, returning '<00>'
icoms: About to set port characteristics
icoms: port characteristics set ok

icoms: Write_Read called with '^M'
About to write '^M' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read called
icoms: About to return read '<00>' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read returning with 0x0
icoms: Write_Read Write_Read success, returning '<00>'

icoms: Write_Read called with '^M'
About to write '^M' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read called
icoms: About to return read '<00>' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read returning with 0x0
icoms: Write_Read Write_Read success, returning '<00>'

icoms: Write_Read called with 'GI^M'
About to write 'GI^M' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read called
icoms: About to return read '<01>' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read returning with 0x0
icoms: Write_Read Write_Read success, returning '<01>'

icoms: Write_Read called with 'CE^M'
About to write 'CE^M' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read called
icoms: About to return read '<00>' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: Read returning with 0x0
icoms: Write_Read Write_Read success, returning '<00>'
icoms: delete called
icoms: closing port
Steps in each Pass = 18
Passes in each Strip = 6, 6
Establishing communications with instrument failed with message
'Non-specific error' (Unrecognized command)

With some debugging, I figured out that if I let the software continue
in line 241 in dtp51.c instead of returning ev, I can actually read
all my color patches.

There seems to be something wrong with how the return value is
determined after sending the "GI" command. I have not yet looked
deeper into the code to see if I can actually fix the software.

Does X-Rite (or now Gretag) have an API spec for this device that's
freely available? I checked the web site, but did not find anything.

Karl Heinz

On 6/29/07, Karl Heinz Kremer <khk@xxxxxxx> wrote:
The binaries you created did segfault on my Intel Mac Pro.

Once I downloaded the sources, and figured out that I could not use
the Jam binary that comes with Mac OS (I guess it's too old), I was
able to create a version that would at least start. I still cannot
communicate with the device. The error messages are slightly different
now.
It also looks like the probing you do for the device type does lock up
(at least my) DTP51. I changed the probing code so that it would only
use the baud rate that the hardware is configured with, and that it
would just send a CE command.
The software does find the device, but once it follows up with the SV
command, the device does no longer respond. When I do this with ZTerm,
I can manually talk to the device.

I guess I have to dust off my Linux machine to see if this is a
problem with my DTP51, or if my USB/serial adapter has a problem (it's
from Prolific).

I'll keep on trying.

Karl Heinz