[argyllcms] Re: Any guidelines for creating scanner profiles with Argyll?

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:35:10 -0500

Graeme,

> I'm not sure what you mean. For creating scanner profiles one usually
> scans a scan calibration test chart, such as one of the charts
> shown here <file:///D:/src/argyll/doc/Scenarios.html#PS2>.

Well, you know me, I'm always looking for something new :-)

I want to show my students how various charts can be used for profiling a
scanner, among which is ye-ole faithful IT8.7/x. Ideally, I'd like to show
my students how to develop a custom testchart with Argyll. It could be
something along the line of GretagMacbeth's RGB Scan v1.4 (I just realize by
reading your Scenarios doc that you do support this chart natively along
with HCT target which I'd be curious to know what the RGB device values
are?).

So, the first step is to use targen to develop a ti1 file for describing the
device sampling. And judging by your reply the obvious choice is to use
'print CMY'.

Here I go:

1) targen -v -d2 -s19 -q19 scanner
2) printtarg -v -iSS -a1 -e -r -p11x17 scanner

BTW, I opened the resultant wrl file and it is very, very nice, for
pedagogical purposes and for just visualizing the sampling scheme. The size
of the sphere seemed a little too big for me so I tried reducing it down
from the default 1 x 1 x 1 to 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5 but InstantPlayer on the PC
did not reduce the sphere size for me :(

3) Open the eps in Photoshop and transfer each CMY channel into a new RGB
document (C-> R, M->G, Y->B). That works well.
4) Send this document out to my favorite amateur photofinisher to have it
printed on digital photographic paper.
5) Printread -v -c1 -p scanner scanner to create ti3 file

6) At this point, I have some more reading to do....

Thank's for your help!

Roger Breton