[argyllcms] An argyllcms version of the TC.918 target.

  • From: "Lars Tore Gustavsen" <lars.tore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:53:21 +0100

Hello list and eye-one pro owners.

I had an idea that support for a few standard RGB target with
Argyllcms, and my eye-one would be a nice idea. There are two targets
I often find mentioned on web sources, created by Bill Atkinson, I
have in my mind. His TC.918 and his RGB 1728 chart. I have started
with the former. I guess this is not rocket science, but I have
actually spent some time with this. I ended up with a custom version
designed more like a normal Argyll i1 chart. But the patches are the
same; I only randomize it, and add 6 white patches just to get a full
row. It means that my chart consist of 924 patches.  The XYZ values in
the ti2 file are actually measured values on Epson photo gloss paper.
I tried first with a simple convert RGB to XYZ, but I get errors like
"There is at least one patch with an very unexpected response! "on
every row.  The RGB values are identical to the values in the tc918
ref file I used as a starting point.  I also think is should work on
both A4 paper and Letter sized paper, since I have added some kind of
a ruler to the target.

There where some things I don't understand in the ti2 format:
Like STEPS_IN_PASS "21,20"
I guessed this to be 21 patches in each row with 20 spacers?

I also wonder if I should delete some of the black spacers at the end
of some off the rows?

I have tested it on a few papers and it looks like it works. If this
chart is created correctly, and there is interest for it, maybe I
should add this to the argyllcms section in the oyranos wiki?

My beta version is here:
http://www.mulebakken.net/div/argylltarget/
The tiff files are created with the "-compress zip" option to
imagemagick. I'm not sure if that's political correct jet?

I have not started with the 1728 target jet.

Regards
Lars Tore Gustavsen