[argyllcms] Re: Accuracy of ccss versus ccmx

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 09:33:30 +1100

Ver Greeneyes wrote:

Off-topic from my original question, but it does feel odd to have such an
expensive device as an i1Pro 2 and only use it to tweak a less expensive
device.

Yes :-) The spectrometer is a versatile instrument though, and has
many more uses.

I've used my i1Pro 2 on a monitor that has a pretty awful black
level (so I don't expect the light sensitivity to be an issue), but I
noticed that it's also a lot slower. Would you expect the i1Pro 2 to be
more accurate than the i1Display Pro, even when the latter has been tweaked
using a ccmx file produced with the former?

Hard to say. In theory if the spectral output of a display changes subtly
with level, then a spectrometer will capture this aspect, whereas a colorimeter
won't. But it depends on which of the instruments has better level
linearity, and there is no doubt that the spectrometer is capturing less
light, and the longer readings probably don't fully compensate for this,
so the spectrometer readings may well be more noisy.

So without a very good reference setup to benchmark against, it's hard
to say, and even with some rigorous benchmarking, the conclusion could
well be mixed.