[argyllcms] Re: Accounting for dot gain in press simulation

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 20:49:06 +1100

Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
LCMS can create a 3-profile proofing transform that does this from
source data in a single step (and can mark out-of-gamut colours with an
alarm colour, too, if desired) - I think that's what Craig's referring to.

Right, but you can do that with Argyll too, if you trust such a process.
Simply string your RIP simulation transform ahead of the proofing
transform using cctiff.
You are assuming a lot about the color transformations being done
in the RIP though, which is why I've never seen the point of such
emulation modes. Much better not emulating it, instead use the real
thing. You are in trouble with originals that have complicated
color treatment too (ie. different colorspace source objects in them,
which is not atypical of PS and PDF.)

Agreed - if you do devote a press run to profiling (which we've done
before) it's worth putting some photos on the sheet along with the
patches - just so the press operator has something on the sheet that
looks like a "real" job. It also gives you something to evaluate your
proofs against, because you'll notice colour errors in a photo with
skin-tones way sooner than you will a random field of coloured patches.

The real benefits of profiling the press depend on the press being
set to the same operating state all the time, and not adjusting it
for each job that comes through. This often seems foreign to old
time press operators.