[argyllcms] Re: Absolute light meter calibration?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 17:28:23 -0700

On Aug 7, 2015, at 4:55 PM, Marwan Daar <marwan.daar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not sure if these would fit your needs - they're more for wavelength
calibration.

https://www.newport.com/Pencil-Style-Calibration-Lamps/377846/1033/info.aspx

Yes, you're right. I'm sure their irradiance is consistent and reliable, but
their main function is to provide strong, narrow, stable, well-defined, and
easily identifiable spectral peaks for calibrating spectrographs and the like.

I have an inexpensive mercury vapor bulb that works great for that sort of
thing, and I'm sure there'll be cheap compact fluorescent bulbs that will also
work well. And a cheap compact fluorescent blacklight will give you a number of
violet and UVA peaks, too; you can use it in conjunction with another mercury
source to calibrate over a slightly wider spectral range which will give you
marginally better accuracy. And it's worth mentioning that the view of a
blacklight through a spectroscope, especially a very large low resolution
spectroscope, is quite beautiful....

b&