[argyllcms] AW: Re: ArgyllCMS V1.2.0 has been released

  • From: "Vladimir Gajic" <vgajic67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 16:44:03 +0200

Hello@all,

I've done some comparations between argyll cmyk profiles and results from
various commercial vendors. The current gamut mapping is imho the absolute nr.
1. I recalculated fogra39 profiles. Saturated colours are very pure (especially
cyan and magenta) with good detail reproduction. The transition of tonal values
is also excellent, smooth without shiftings. All in one a really great work.
Still, there is a lot of experiments to be done yet :) I plan also a few tests
on a real-life printing press, also in comparision with commercial solutions.
I'll report...

Regards
Vladimir

-- Gesendet von meinem Palm Pre
Graeme Gill &lt;graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; schrieb am 03.08.2010 15:21:

Nikolay Pokhilchenko wrote:

&gt; About new gamut mapping - it is the other thing now. I've noticed that the
saturated

&gt; areas go datrker than before at my inkjets. The improvement: the gradients
with extreme

&gt;  saturation of colors are more balanced by tone between its ends. But the
darkness of

&gt; saturated colors are the drawback in some situations. I think that in
general, new

&gt; mapping is better, than the old one. But I should expriment and work more
to understand

&gt;  the behavior of new mapping better.

Hi,

One of the fundamental choices in setting the gamut mapping is the the trade-off

between lightness and saturation. Typically the gamut mapping task is RGB to
print,

and because these are additive and subtractive processes respectively, the most

saturated colors for print are usually much darker than RGB. So if you maintain

lightness, you can loose huge amounts of saturation (this is often very
noticeable

in cyan), or you have to darken the tones to maintain a better degree of
saturation.

In V1.2.0 I've opted for a little more saturation at the cost of lightness.

(You could tweak this by changing the gamut mapping numbers and recompiling.)

Another factor may be that in V1.2.0 I've paid much more attention to

maintaining the lightness level of darker colors and not lightening them

up during the mapping, in order to maintain the visual detail (The visual

detail is often conveyed by shadow details).