[argyllcms] Re: AW: Matrox P650 doesn't seem to want to play...

  • From: Neil Woolford <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:14:25 +0000

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 11:03 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Neil Woolford wrote:
>
> >>Next thing I'll try is reverting the secondary display to analogue
> >>connection and see what happens then when I run dispwin -r on it.  If
> >>that works, then I think we have our answer.  I'll research the Formac
> >>documentation, just in case there is something internal to the monitor.
> >
> > Still no joy.  Dispwin works as far as displaying colour squares goes,
> > but no overall brightness change, even with the monitor connected via
> > the analogue cable.
>
> Did you try it with plain X11 (ie. no multi-monitor extensions
> configured) ?

Yes, I've reverted to that for the moment.  And I've reverted to 32 bit
rather than 64 bit Ubuntu.  Still no joy.  There is however still a
problem with compiling the Matrox drivers;  although the 'mtx' driver is
loaded, available to X11 and works, several additional kernel modules
still don't compile.  It is possible that the function we need is
provided by one of them.  (I'm fixing errors, but it's a moving target
so far - maybe the current one is the last one?)  There are also several
versions of the Linux drivers out there, I shall be checking for
differences.

On the other hand, a visual check of the uncalibrated Formac screen
(using the Color Confidence Check-Up Kit) suggests that it does arrive
giving acceptable to good gradation and colour straight out of the box
via the resolutely 8 bit DVI interface (no analogue available on the
model I have).  I haven't run a side by side test as the two are
currently in different buildings, but the out of the box performance
seems to match or exceed my LaCie Electron Blue 22" unit *after*
calibration with Monaco Optix;  shadow detail is better on the Formac
and the subtle near cyans of the yarn image are closer to the print
result.  The colour temperature of the display appears high though, I've
not measured yet but doubt that it is below 6500K.

For my immediate purposes this is nearly good enough, but I would like
to get to the bottom of the problems, so I'll be continuing to work on
it over Christmas and New Year...  I've also ordered my copy of "Real
World Color Management", as it seems to be the book everyone mentions
sooner or later.

Neil

(I'm a commercial photographer working for screen/web and short print
runs via inkjet or photo-lab;  images that go on to four colour litho
pass through the hands of designers before the press so I'm not having
to make daily decisions about likely colour reproduction of a hundred
thousand colour critical brochures on a press in
Holland/Spain/Japan/Hong Kong.  My responsibility is to pass the
designer a good clean file with a sensible colour balance and gamut that
won't cause problems (banding and sharpening artifacts come to mind)
when prepared for repro.)