[argyllcms] Re: AW: Matrox P650 doesn't seem to want to play...

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:18:00 +1100

Thomas Kumlehn wrote:

I'm not sure if this is related to the P650, but some graphics cards have
great 10bit LUTs but bypass them when outputting digitally over DVI, just
because they are placed by design between Memory path and DAC and not also
between Memory path and DVI chip. Currently no off-the-shelf LCD known to me,
takes 10bit per colour channel. All need 8x3bits.

If the design of the card is such that the LUTs are only in the D/A
path, then calibration isn't going to work. I'd be a little surprised if
Video cards are designed that way (how are gamers going to adjust
their gamma ?), but it's certainly possible. Of course DVI makes
it impossible/non-standard to use more than 8 bits/component,
so an Video cards LUTs will be 8x3 to the DVI.