[argyllcms] Re: AW: List of wide gamut displays

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 01:24:02 +1100

Jens Heermann wrote:
> Therefore I would exclude those Dell and HP models, as well as all Apple
> Cinema Display. They may feature a wide gamut, but it will shrink
> significantly when these models will be calibrated via a
> "software-calibration", which only offers 8bit resolution for grey steps,
> due to fact, that the corresponding curves will be stored in the graphics
> card and that the correction will also be done in the ICC profile.

Hi,
        being 8 bit won't shrink the gamut, it will just introduce
quantization. To what degree, depends on the visual uniformity of
the native display colorspace. Note that 10 bit paths to displays are
around, both analog VGA and DisplayPort, and while 10 bit frame buffers
are not quite here yet, having 10 bit VideoLUT entries is sufficient
to be able to get an approximately visually uniform display colorspace using
display card calibration, giving similar performance to displays with
in-built calibration.