[argyllcms] Re: AW: Black generation and black ink limiting

  • From: Fabrizio Levati <fabrizio.levati@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 19:09:04 +0200

Martin Weberg wrote:

> Take a look at the plot rendered by "xicclu -g -ip -fif
> ISOnewspaper26v4.icc". They've got a "bump" too, forced by "Black dot
> def. 59/45/41". They also use a much more aggressive black curve then
> your profile.

Martin,
I had numerous experiences with the ISOnewspaper26v4.icc profile and none of
them positive. IMHO the characterization data this profile is based on are good
for the purpose of "standard newspaper printing" only, and so is the very
strong black generation in the profile. At least in Europe there is a strong
demand for better quality in newspaper printing and the last generation of
newspaper printing presses are fully capable of providing this.
This market trend, some customer printing semi-commercial products on newspaper
presses and the very bad experience I had printing images re-separated with
very strong black generation,  led me to experiment such a strange profile type.

Cheers
Fabrizio