[argyllcms] Re: AW: Black generation and black ink limiting

  • From: Vladimir Gajic <vgajic67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 11:10:00 +0200

Hello Fabrizio,

I also did a lot of experiments with FOGRA39L and different
separations/black generations. Basically I like the Argyll-generated
separations more than the ones I get using the original profiles. Even if
some primaries appear a bit more dirty than the originals, my separations
are allways very smooth so that a color correction (even a default one) is
not a problem at all.

About the black generation / TAC: The examples you posted -were they
generated before or after calculating a profile? I have the expirience that
my curves become smoother after generating a profile (using parameters witch
I test with xicclu -v -g -fif -kp......) and than calling xicclu -v -g -fb
-ip <profileName.icc> Depending on the profile quality (medium or high), the
curves may even become more smoothened. My "old" way of testing the
separation quality of a profile is simply in generating a Lab-ramp (from 0 0
0 to 100 0 0) and converting using perceptual ri. This what you see in your
separations responds almost exactly to what you will get running xicclu -v
-g -fb -ip profile.icc Argyll also offers a few excellent images of testing
profile conversions.

Regards
Vladimir