[argyllcms] Re: A template for an icc profile?

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 16:21:38 -0600

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 15:27 -0600, Leonard Evens wrote:
> At one point I had a access to a document which pr ofided a template for
> a (dumped) icc profile, includuing explanations for the different
> fields.   I used it for example to determine what the profiles I
> constructed were doing.  But I can't locate it.  Can anyone recommend
> something of that nature?   It shouldn't require detailed study of color
> management to follow.  (The theory and details should come back to me as
> I look at it.)

Let me add that I started off several years ago by reading most of Real
World Color Management,  which does have something like that in an
appendix,  but afterwards I found something which was shorter and more
relevant for what I was doing with argyllcms.  That is what I think gave
me the detailed information I needed,  but I can't find it now.

Let me explain what I'm trying to do.  Previously I managed to construct
a profile for my Epson 1280 printer using argyllcms with an Eye-One-Pro,
all under Fedora Linux.  I used that profile with files edited under
gimp or hugin and then printed with photoprint.

I now have an Epson 3880 printer, and I want to make a profile for it.
I've been (re)studying the argyllcms documentation about that, and I
thought it would be helpful to look at a profile that Epson provides for
use with Photoshop under Windows.  So I want to remind myself of what
all the different fields mean.

I am assuming that I can't just use the Epson profile under Fedora.  But
even if I can,  I think I would do better making my own profile.

--
Leonard Evens len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University