[argyllcms] Re: A question about viewing gamma (dispcal)

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 10:56:36 +0100

Am 01.11.2010 08:00, schrieb Kai-Uwe Behrmann:

> But does'nt this mean a per image correction, while most CM apps are
> rather static?

For some use cases the static ICC workflow is certainly a limitation.

> I guess that a proper workflow would be to honour the scene
> information, using EXIF informations or similiar sources, and select
> the appropriate ICC profile or even blend between two ICC renderings.

It depends of course on the processing done by the camera. Usually
cameras produce output-referred images, i.e. they in-camera processing
already converts the captured image to say sRGB viewing conditions, so
that the images look "nice" when displayed on a monitor. I.e. we get say
sRGB images out of the camera and only need to care about converting
from sRGB viewing conditions to the viewing conditions of our desired
viewing environment (e.g. reflective print, monitor in bright or dim
room, projector in dark room) - there is no need anymore to care about
the viewing conditions of the captured scene, since the camera already
did it.

Raw images are a different issue - here IMO the raw converter would need
to account for the viewing conditions of the captured scene (where the
viewing conditions may be estimated e.g. from the EXIF data, as you say).

Regards,
Gerhard