[argyllcms] Re: A question about viewing gamma (dispcal)

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 01:58:34 +0200

Am 30.10.2010 00:18, schrieb Anders Torger:

> Another way to put it - if I know I need a viewing gamma of ~1.2 to
> compensate for a unusually dark viewing conditions, what do I do?

Colorimetric rendering intent is always supposed to do a
_colorimetrically correct_ reproduction (as far as possible, given the
gamut of the destination device), i.e. it is not supposed to emulate the
appearance under different viewing conditions or to do any artistic
color transformations. So when strictly conforming to the ICC specs you
can do this only with perceptual rendering intent (granted that the
perceptual intent table of your profile does the "right thing", i.e.
what you desire).

When you create a device profile with colprof (or a device link with
collink) you can tell colprof/collink to incorporate an CIECAM02 color
appearance mapping between source and destination viewing conditions
into the perceptual and/or saturation intent tables (not just a "viewing
gamma" adjustment, but even a more sophisticated CIECAM02 transformation).

[ Btw, matrix/TRC profiles are colorimetric only by definition. ]

Regards,
Gerhard