[argyllcms] Re: A bit of fun with a Datacolor 1005

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:45:18 -0700

On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:34 PM, Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'll need to think of a solution for film profiling - my XRite
> densitometer can handle C41 and monochrome negative film and RA4 print
> paper, but works with optical density (not Lab). I'm leaning towards
> scanning the exposed film with a calibrated film scanner then somehow
> building a profile from that... Crazy ideas again

I should think a great deal will depend on why you're profiling the film and
what you're planning on doing with it.

If the whole point is to scan the film so you can then work with the digital
image on your computer, then I'd take the approach of photographing a suitable
target, developing the film as you normally would, scanning it as you normally
would, and finally running scanin on the resulting file. You'd capture the
entire processing chain, which is really what you'd want. But I'd also suggest
that a digital camera would be far superior for any such workflow...building an
ICC profile of film seems to defeat the only significant advantage to film any
more: its unique (and decidedly non-colorimetric) color rendition.

If you're looking to calibrate your light meter or fine-tune your development
processing or whatever, I'd think that the more traditional means of doing such
would be better than the scanner workflow...but, then again, I'm not all that
familiar with the more traditional means....

Cheers,

b&