[argyllcms] Re: A beginner's questions

  • From: "Luud Heck" <luud.heck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:32:01 +0100

On Jan 30, 2008 9:38 PM, Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You shouldn't be using xgamma. You want to load the vgct tag in your
> monitor profile using either dispwin or xcalib.   If you look at the
> argyll archives you will find an explanation of the difference between
> xgamma and the others.  You will also find a discussion I initiated
> about  what the point of loading the vgct tag is and what else a color
> managed application like gimp 2.4 does with the profile.  I was rather
> confused about the matter, and a couple of kindly souls set me straight.

I think this should be that thread:
//www.freelists.org/archives/argyllcms/01-2008/msg00281.html

> > As my
> > monitor is connected via DVI digital I only have backlight control on
> > the monitor. I adjusted the gamma until dispcal would tell me that it
> > measures a gamma of about 2.2 (using "dispcal -yl -r"). After this I
> > ran the profiling step (option 6 when running "dispcal -v2 -yl -o
> > Samsung191T").
>
> I have a Samsung 226CW.  You should read very carefully what the argyll
> documentation says about profiling LCD monitors.   Lars has addressed
> this issue in his answer and you would do well to take his advice.

Well, the only thing I can change is the backlight. All other options are
locked as I use a DVI digital connection between computer and monitor.
(Contrast shows 50% and does not allow change.)

The funny thing with xgamma is that it does not affect my display, whereas
fglrx_xgamma, the tool from ATI, does affect the display.

I don't understand the relation between xgamma and video card lut yet.
I have to do some more reading and searching about this first.

Thanks for the feedback and pointers!

Regards,
Luud