[argyllcms] Re: A beginner's questions

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 08:33:27 +1100

Leonard Evens wrote:

Thanks for the response.  I'm not sure what "stepping" mean, but I
presume it means seeing distinct boundaries between adjacent colors.  I

Clut profiles contain discrete output values in a table. For values
between those in the table, linear interpolation is used. This
means that the fundamental output response consists of a series of
"straight lines". (The per channel curves do modify this to some degree).
The breakpoints between the "straight sections" can be quite visible
under some circumstances.

see one such prominent boundary in the timage test image with the
profile produced with -qm -as and to a lesser extent with the one using -qh -as.

Since you have selected a shaper/matrix profile, (-as), the effects
you are seeing can't be caused by clut profile limitations.

> Would my shaper/matrix profile be smoother in general but
still produce what I see in the test image?   Is there some other way
to produce a smoother test image response with a shaper/matrix profile?

You can't jump to conclusions from what you see. It generally takes some
careful investigation to explain particular visual effects.