[argyllcms] Re: A beginner's questions

  • From: Stefan Döhla <color@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:29:17 +0100

Am 31.01.2008 um 04:32 schrieb Leonard Evens:

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 02:03 +0100, Stefan Döhla wrote:

once you have a valid profile for your display (e.g. created with the
colorvision software) you can use fglrx_xcalib -which is a version of
xcalib specifically for the ATI driver.

I have an ATI card, but I am using the Xorg supplied driver for such
cards rather than the vendor proprietary driver.  I'm using xcalib to
load the vgct tag LUT, and it seems to work fine.   Do you know
precisely what the differences are between xcalib and fglrx_xcalib.

I do ;-)

xcalib and dispwin (and xgamma, ...) use the X11VidMode extensions for applying the vcgt entries to the video card LUT. fglrx_xgamma (and fglrx_xcalib) use the library provided by ATI for their proprietary driver. I don"t know why they didn't use the default mechanism (X11VidMode) for this but rather went on with their own thing.

glanced at the source and it seems it is compiled using different
libraries from those used to compile xcalib.  I presume there is no
reason to believe it would work with the Xorg driver.

For the open-source driver you are fine and don't need to deal with the fglrx stuff.

What would be the advantage of getting the proprietary driver and using
fglrx_xcalib?

The speed of the proprietary driver and maybe the ability to select a particular card (compared to a screen or display). I guess that's it.

- Stefan