[argyllcms] A beginner's questions

  • From: "Luud Heck" <luud.heck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:04:16 +0100

Hi all,

I'm new to this list and color management in general so please forgive
my ignorance and lack of experience here and there. I try to read as
much as I can in order to avoid wasting your time, but a few nudges in
the right direction might prove very valuable to me.

Based on the information I found on the Argyll CMS webpages I obtained
a Spyder2Express to calibrate and profile my monitor. (Maybe I should
have looked in the list archives earlier as I read ColorVision is not
all that Linux friendly, but then again this one is readily available
in the shops here in The Netherlands which helps if you ask it as a
birthday present ;-).

So far I manged to get it working with my Gentoo installation. I used
the binaries of the latest beta 8 with which it proved very easy to
get the hardware working.

However, I'm not sure the profile I generated on Linux is proper. I
like the colors much more, but the darker areas become really dark.
Also, the profile I generated on windows with the software from
ColorVision keeps the images much lighter (to be honest, on windows I
did not really see the changes before and after calibration which
worries me a bit as well, but my main interest is in getting it right
with Linux).

A screendump of twice the same photo can be found at the link below,
on the left displayed with gthumb without color management, on the
right with the Gimp with a profile generated with Argyll.

http://www.heck.dds.nl/Comparison-color-management.jpg

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 191T TFT screen (about 4 years old now)
and an ATI Radeon 9700Pro graphics card. I need to use the
fglrx_xgamma program to adjust the gamma of the display (xgamma and
dispwin did not appear to change anything on my display). As my
monitor is connected via DVI digital I only have backlight control on
the monitor. I adjusted the gamma until dispcal would tell me that it
measures a gamma of about 2.2 (using "dispcal -yl -r"). After this I
ran the profiling step (option 6 when running "dispcal -v2 -yl -o
Samsung191T").

$ dispcal -v2 -yl -o Samsung191T

I read somewhere in the mailing list archive that the option -k0 might
help, but it made no visible difference in the end result.

For me the first step is to make sure that what I see on my monitor
matches with what I would get back from a photo printer service.
Locally there is one here that provides the icc profile of their
printing machine for proofing at home.

Now the questions:
- Is the behavior in the dark areas (bottom left water area for
example) proper behavior? (If as a test I crank up gamma with
fglrx_xgamma I can lighten up these dark areas and make the details
visible again, but the rest of the picture gets way too light then)
 - What are the best steps to validate what I see on my screen
compares to the prints (I don't mind ordering prints for testing
purposes, but prefer to use the right methods for this as not to waste
too much money on going back and forth)
 - Are the steps I took proper or did I miss something?

Thanks for your time and patience,
Luud Heck