[argyllcms] Re: 2D view of icc's boundary is not smooth

  • From: "tmwu" <ntut019@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:04:26 +0800

Hello Graeme:

This explanation is fairly clear to me, thanks a lot for your patience.
I am eagerly waiting for the next release, which looks like to be
a major one.

Best,

tmwu

-----原始郵件----- From: Graeme Gill
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:25 PM
To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: 2D view of icc's boundary is not smooth

tmwu wrote:
The reason I asked about the boundary smoothness of the profiler
is because I thought that the boundary reflect the limit my printer
can print color. So it looks weird to me that certain part of
boundary looks erratic. I guess you have already explained why this might
happen in you mail, but I have to admit that my knowledge of color
management

Hi,
the way I would explain it is that creating a model
of the device behaviour from the scattered data points of the test
chart is a compromise between accurately modelling the data points,
and the smoothness of the result. If the device behaviour is
fairly "twisted" in some areas of the gamut, then the interpolation
model of what is smooth, and the underlying device model become
noticeably out of alignment, and the trade-off becomes more severe.

So the default stiffness gives a good fit but poor smoothness
in some areas. Increasing the stiffness of the model improves
smoothness, but at the cost of interpolation accuracy. There
are probably ways of improving the trade-off, which I will
look into when I get the chance.