[archmach] Event at the Media Lab...August 4 after SIGGRAPH

  • From: Sarah Page <spage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: archmach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:00:33 -0400

For those of you traveling to Boston for SIGGRAPH, we invite you to join
us on Friday, August 4 for a special talk and open house.

2:00 PM, Bartos Theatre: Welcome from Frank Moss.
2:15 to 3:45 PM: Visit with students and faculty.
4:00 PM, Bartos Theatre: World-renowned artist Toshio Iwai presents past
and current work in his talk "From Flipbooks to Media Art."
5:30 PM, Reception

I hope you will pass this invitation along to other Media Lab friends and
alums who
may be in Boston next week. Attendance is limited, so please have them
RSVP to me at spage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sarah Page
Director of Development and Sponsor Relations
MIT Media Lab

SUMMARY:
Toshio Iwai, one of Japan's leading artists, explores the influence of a
lifetime immersed in Japan's technology culture, and looks at how it is
possible for individual artists to create projects for television,
public installations, and software for game consoles. In this lecture,
he will present recent work such as Electroplankton for Nintendo DS and
TENORI-ON, as well as his past media artworks.

BIO:
As an interactive media artist, Toshio Iwai began making experimental
animations in 1981, moved on to working with pre-cinematic toys such as
flipbooks and zoetropes, and since 1986 has been interested in the
computer game as a visual music system. After becoming the youngest
winner of the Contemporary Japanese Art Grand Prix in 1985, he has
exhibited many interactive works at exhibitions worldwide, and is now
considered a leading media artist. His performance with Ryuichi
Sakamoto, "Music Plays Images X Images Play Music," won the Prix Ars
Electronica, Interactive Art Category Grand Prix in 1997. In 2000, his
"Composition on the Table" won I.D. magazine's Gold Medal for
Interactive Installation, as part of the magazine's Interactive Media
Design Review. He created Electroplankton for Nintendo DS in 2005.