[arachne] Re: arachne Digest V9 #31

  • From: "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 11:39:58 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, December 9, 2011 10:05 am, Jennifer L. Brice wrote:

> I am skeptical that their are many bosses in the real world, that buy
> computers for the employees that dont provide them with the required
> software for it, and if there were why is that a problem for those of us
> who use libre or in my case abiword.
>                   Arachne at FreeLists
> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

I have a business relationship with someone who I need to exchange info
with such as marketing lists and so forth. He doesn't provide my computer
equipment, I do that for myself.

The insurance world pretty much lives in Windows and the info I need to use
is mostly in Excel. We tried our best to do what we had to do using my
Linux setup with Libre with various frustrations and problems that no
doubt the "power users" of this list would not experience. But, us "ordinary
users" soon got tired of hacking around the various installations and
translations that were required and I decided that since I could buy a
perfectly adequate used computer with XP and Office 2007 for dirt cheap
I would just do that. Things got a lot easier when I did.

Neither myself or my business partner were entirely happy with not
being able to easily integrate Linux and Windows at the "ordinary
user" level but that was that.

I've hated Windows for years--but I had to "pull up my socks" and just
get on with it.

Sam Ewalt