[arachne] Re: Pop3 mail from directory

  • From: "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 08:08:04 -0500 (EST)

Seems to me that the whole point of Arachne was to access the internet
without Windows on a DOS computer. Which you can still do if you really
want to.

There is not much point to anti-virus protection in DOS. Why bother?

I ran Arachne for fifteen years without anti-virus protection without
problem. My usage declined steadily over the years but I was still
using Arachne for occasional email as late as last year because it still
worked for text email and was secure.

I think I would still be using Arachne and my old DOS computer for
entertainment value if not for a hard drive failure. I manage a mailing
list of around five hundred names for a club and it tickled me to tell
people that I did it in DOS.

However, Arachne had long since become next to useless for web browsing
unless you liked to tinker and rewrite websites as a hobby.

I do miss Arachne and the old Arachne mob, but that ship sailed for
new lands long ago.

My best to all,

Sam Ewalt