[arachne] Re: Pop3 mail from directory

  • From: Jason Dodd <jasorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:43:36 -0500

I have a linux machine too, several of them. I have no problems whatsoever in having my linux machines being compatible with those of the Windows dummies. They send me MicroSoft Word documents and Excel spreadsheets and Power Point presentations. I can deal with opening up and viewing and editing all of those by using the free open source productivity suite known as OpenOffice.org. Also I can send to a Windows dummy a file I create with OpenOffice.org, and the recipient can open the file and deal with it provided I remember, before sending
the file, to "save the file as" a type compatible with the appropriate
MicroSoft Office type.
This is a bit of over glorified claim that is made all of the time. The fact of the matter is neither open office nor libre office is 100% compatible and if you work with MS documents that are at all complicated you will have issues. I only use linux at home but this claim that open or libre office is a MS office replacement that is compatible irks me.

It's ok for personal use but if you business relies on interaction with outside companies who send you MS documents you really need MS. Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --