[apt4ssx8] Re: apt output from line list

  • From: "Kent A. Reed" <kentallanreed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apt4ssx8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:00:13 -0400

On 6/18/2012 1:11 AM, dave wrote:
On 06/14/2012 09:18 PM, Kent A. Reed wrote:
On 6/14/2012 1:09 PM, dave wrote:
<...> until I started fooling with
the gsl libs.
When we can confirm the the gsl libs are working then we will try again.
<...>

Dave

Dave:

I choose to add this reply here instead of the "apt line test" message thread you've been sending directly.

Item A. GNU Scientific Library (gsl)

I have been building apt360 in Ubuntu 10.04LTS because that's where I've been building LinuxCNC.

It turns out that Installed by default in Ubuntu 10.04LTS is the runtime package named libgsl0ldbl, v1.13. This is not sufficient! If I build apt360 against this I get the errors I pointed out in my earlier direct reply. For example, the failure of /usr/bin/ld to locate -lgsl that is reported in the config.log file.

I must also install the development package libgsl0-dev, v1.13 (for example, using the Synaptic Package Manager). With this package installed, the config.log has lots of happy messages about gsl goodness and the apt360 build proceeds.

(in the above, "build" means ./configure; make; sudo make install)
It may be sufficient. I got results w/o installing gsl; then got paranoid and did a make clean, configure, make, sudo make install. Matt commented (phone) that he thought things worked w/o explicitly installing gsl.

I only meant that it is insufficient to make gsl available to APT360, not that APT360 won't build without it. gsl is needed in only a few instances to process a part program. I forget the specific geometry involved; it was spelled out in the error message I got without gsl installed.

Item B. line test file
After thinking about the line test file over the weekend. I have slithered into the conclusion that the comments, etc are not needed. Just the line descriptions and appropriate numbering. I will try to get something like that in the next few days.

I've started appending my own test files to relevant sections on my google site. In this first go around, they are nothing more than tests to confirm that the syntactic forms described in the APT360 Programmers Manual are allowed by the APT360 program (unexpectedly, I've already found one that apparently is not). Latter on, I'll think about tests that might confirm that the semantics is correct as well.

This is all a learning exercise for me. My semantic tests likely will be for only those forms I'm not sure I understand. If this helps someone else, so much the better.

item C. "APT Part Programming", IITRI, 1967.
LC  or ISBN ?

Well, this turns out to be a problem. ISBN wasn't introduced by ISO until 1970 and the LCCN printed in the book isn't understood by the Library of Congress search engine.

For what it is worth, the book, published by McGraw-Hill, claims

Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 67-1876
31674

This is printed on two lines as shown.

"671876" is too short. The LoC search engine returns 10 entries from "6718760" to "6718769" none of which is this book. "67187631674" is too long and the LoC says "your search found no results."

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Dave

Certainly did. Hope you did too.

Regards,