[apt4ssx8] Re: apt output from line list

  • From: "Kent A. Reed" <kentallanreed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apt4ssx8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 00:18:06 -0400

On 6/14/2012 1:09 PM, dave wrote:
<...> until I started fooling with
the gsl libs.
When we can confirm the the gsl libs are working then we will try again.
<...>

Dave

Dave:

I choose to add this reply here instead of the "apt line test" message thread you've been sending directly.

Item A. GNU Scientific Library (gsl)

I have been building apt360 in Ubuntu 10.04LTS because that's where I've been building LinuxCNC.

It turns out that Installed by default in Ubuntu 10.04LTS is the runtime package named libgsl0ldbl, v1.13. This is not sufficient! If I build apt360 against this I get the errors I pointed out in my earlier direct reply. For example, the failure of /usr/bin/ld to locate -lgsl that is reported in the config.log file.

I must also install the development package libgsl0-dev, v1.13 (for example, using the Synaptic Package Manager). With this package installed, the config.log has lots of happy messages about gsl goodness and the apt360 build proceeds.

(in the above, "build" means ./configure; make; sudo make install)

Item B. line test file

At first I was comparing your statements to Kral and trying variations. Then I came to my senses and went to the FORTRAN sources (remember my mantra "use the source, Luke").

Some of the forms of LINE and CIRCLE definitions described in Kral apparently are not supported in APT360. Look at the two new pages I've inserted on my Google site, "Line Definitions" and "Circle Definitions", under "APT Resources/APT360 Program Notes". [Sorry for the lack of a decent table of contents on the site; I haven't decided what I want.]

These pages contain exactly the relevant COMMENT lines extracted from the source. Once you look at them you'll realize why some of your test cases fail.

Example from Kral that is unacceptable to APT360:

     L2 = LINE/XAXIS, 5

Alternative that is acceptable to APT360:

     LXAX = LINE/XAXIS
     L2 = LINE/PARLEL, LXAX, YLARGE, 5

item C. "APT Part Programming", IITRI, 1967.

My copy of this slender book (140pp) arrived today. According to its Preface, it "is based on the ALRP part-programming course (Part 1) and on the documents originally supplied by the M.I.T-AIA effort."

It is somewhat like Kral with a much thinner vocabulary. Unfortunately, it doesn't contain a complete vocabulary list for APT III (which was released in 1961) or whatever was in the works in 1967. I'll try to abstract some useful info for my site. It does appear to be a good tutorial on part programming.

item D. Hmmm. I know I had one when I started composing this message, but now....

Regards,
Kent

https://sites.google.com/site/manisbutareed