[apt4ssx8] Joined this list last night

  • From: "Kent A. Reed" <kentallanreed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apt4ssx8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 08:19:52 -0400

Gentle persons:

A thumbnail sketch of me.

I am a researcher and tinkerer who retired from NIST four years ago. My background includes integration across manufacturing and construction project lifecycles, product data standardization (IGES, STEP), engineering design and analysis, experimental physics---all with a heavy seasoning of computing.

I wrote my first program in FORTRAN II for a trivial radio-design problem about the time Jack Kennedy was inaugurated and my last in FORTRAN IV (aka FORTRAN 66) for my not-so-trivial doctoral dissertation in physics about the time Richard Nixon resigned from office. I never looked back (until now).

I became intrigued with APT when it was mentioned on mail lists related to the LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) machine-controller effort. In addition to its potential present-day usefulness, it looked like a fun (my definition of fun may differ from yours) project to try to resurrect old FORTRAN code.

Presently, I'm trying to educate myself by tracing the development of APT from MIT to IITRI to CAM-I and the pedigree of APT code that shows up. It's amazing how much information has already been lost. I've emailed some of what I've found to some of you before but as Matt requested, I'm going to repost it in a more ordered form.

At the same time, I'm trying to regain FORTRAN skills I never thought I'd need again. I can almost hear the key punch crunching, the card reader whirring, and the line printer buzzing:-)

Regards,
Kent