[HG-PBEM] Re: Team Meeting - Try #2

  • From: David Kelk <dakelk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 01:03:29 -0500

A week and a half had now passed since the shooting incident at the Sand
Stone. Nearly half the team had suffered gun shot wounds. Fortunately, most
of them were minor. Matsuo Luong from Blue Team had suffered the worst
injuries, still being in critical care. He had been admitted to the hospital
in the
Transrail Oasis Tower across the Core.
Everyone was now assembled for an important team meeting that the Colonel
had called earlier today. The Colonel, Jezebel, Chico and Clara were still
out of
the room. However, new to the team, the young gear pilot Diggs William had
arrived the day after the shooting and had spent much of his time assisting
Felicity, Sasquatch and Lyle Devous in getting the remaining Gears repaired
and reassembled.
Also present were Keavy, Terry and Rohgen, who signed up with the team a
couple of days after their own incident in the Transrail Oasis Hangar
Facility.
The two theives that they had helped chase had unfortunately gotten away,
seeming to disappear into the Oasis Station's ventilation system and skulk
away undetected. The exact nature of the two men's intent was still under
investigation by Transrail Security. After performing an inventory on their
equipment and supplies, it appeared that nothing had been stolen or clearly
tampered with. At the same time, the grenade had ended up being a fake,
merely
meant as a ruse to assist the theif in getting away. It was clear that the
theives
had been highly-trained professionals, likely ex-special-ops personnel for
hire.
Transrail Security assured the trio that a continued investigation would
reveal
something. At present, their Cheetah Gear and supplies had all been moved
into the Redliner's hangar.

There was an impatient air in the hangar. Gustav, Chagall and an injured
Jonus
all took perimeter near the doors leading out of the hangar. At that point,
the far
door open, and the missing four entered the hangar.

Holding out his arms, the Colonel called out. "Thank you for your patience.
am sorry that we are late. We were going over, er,... business issues."

He, his wife, Chico and Clara all stopped at the foot of Shamus' Iguana,
which
had been reassembled and now stood upright. "Let me get to the point," the
Colonel continued, clearling his voice. "As you know the team paid for all
your
medical treatments. Clara and I have been going over the books, and---"

"What's going on?" Jaana Czeshin interupted. There was a chorus of voices
that echoed Jaana's question.

Jezebel squeezed her husbands hand as if to assure him. "Well, to put it
bluntly," the Colonel answered, gesturing for people to let him continue.
"We're broke. Completely broke, I'm afraid."

[...]

"Stop me when any of this sounds familiar." Terry whispered to Keavy and
Rhogen.  In all their adventures through the badlands they'd often been
low on money.  Only when they got serious about gear racing did they slowly
start to build up any kind of real savings.

"Then we'd better put a plan in place and do something about it." Terry
said,
"We have a race coming up in a couple of weeks we need to practice for and
gears and people to fix in the meantime.  Unless you want to run a really
big bake sale or form a rock band and go on tour we'd best stick with what
we know and hold it together for that race."