[aodvv2-discuss] Re: regeneration vs forwarding

  • From: Victoria Mercieca <vmercieca0@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 18:02:01 +0000

Sorry for the confusion, I meant the fields are part of the rfc5444 message
rather than the rfc5444 packet. So multiplexing is fine. But since the
message is from and to aodvv2, these fields are sort of "ours" to use.
Appendix B of RFC5444 says the MANET router should decrease the hop limit
and increase the hop count when forwarding a message. So AODVv2 (or
whatever other MANET routing protocol) would be responsible for that +/-1.
"Used to prevent messages from circulating endlessly in a MANET". So in
summary, I'm not sure we are currently doing it wrong...

Either way, unless there was something I missed, we can accomplish more or
less the same using max metric values.

Also, I found the text I was looking for earlier, in section 7.1 of RFC
5444, where it says about fields changing when forwarded. I think we use
"regeneration" to make it clear we are changing more than hop limit and hop
count and this is also why we would do hop by hop security rather than end
to end. Can we legitimately use the word "forwarding" if we are changing
the metric value, adding a validity time, or adding/removing AckReq?

Regards,
Vicky
On 18 Nov 2015 15:12, "Ratliff, Stanley" <sratliff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Vicky,

That confuses me a bit. You said “…so we can use them for our own purposes
since they are part of the AODVv2 message…”. But Thomas says “…the RFC5444
hop-limit/hop-count fields…”.

Are we talking about AODVv2-specific fields, or something that RFC5444
“owns”, but allows applications to set? If it’s the latter, then I really
don’t understand how multiplexing works (this would seem to be a circular
argument much like the ‘TTL’ field everyone haggled about earlier).

I like the notion of using MAX_METRIC, and completely taking this issue
off the table.

Regards,
Stan

From: *Thomas Clausen* <ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 1:35 AM
Subject: Re: [manet] draft-ietf-manet-aodvv2-12 and
draft-ietf-manet-dlep-17
To: "Ratliff, Stanley" <sratliff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "manet@xxxxxxxx" <manet@xxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

I have started looking through the recently
updated draft-ietf-manet-aodvv2-12. A lot has changed, and I regret not to
have had a blow-by-bow comeback to the previous review comments - would
have made it a somewhat easier task to check if all have been addressed or
not.

But, I will work through it and produce a detailed review - but from my
first quick read-through there're a couple of issue that jumped at me as
worth bringing forward on a more global level already.

The first relates to how RREQs are forwarded -- or, more generally, are
not.

The protocol currently talks about "message is regenerated" rather than
"forwarded". I have understood that this means that a RREQ is actually not
an "end to end" entity, but is a "hop by hop" entity.

First, that is a curious design choice, is there any reason why this is so
considered?

Second, if a RREQ message is hop-by-hop only, then I do not think that the
use of the RFC5444 hop-limit/hop-count fields is appropriate.

Third, the statement in section 6.5 on the use of RFC6621 is incorrect in
two ways: RFC6621 does specify how messages are *forwarded* (but, as
discussed above, you are not forwarding messages).

More seriously, this paragraph is incorrect:

"Implementations MAY choose to employ techniques to reduce the number of
multicast messages sent. Use of [RFC6621
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6621>] in deployments is recommended.
Employing [RFC6621 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6621>] in a subset of the
operational AODVv2 routers in a network, or configuring different algorithms
on different routers, will not cause interoperability issues, but will reduce
the effectiveness of the multicast reduction scheme."

Different routers using different relay selection algorithms in the same
network will not *just* cause loss of efficiency, but *will* cause
interoperability issues.

For example if "router A" decides to suppress its message relaying because
it estimates that "router B" provides sufficient coverage - and conversely
"router B" suppresses relaying for the same reason: neither A nor B would
relay, and so any routers reachable only via A and B would not be covered.

This is not a far-sought example: it can be as simple as A and B simply
using self-selecting relay algorithms with different tie-breakers.

In short: I think that the whole message flooding/regeneration part
requires serious work.

The second issue is that I also suspect that there is some issue with
buffering, or rather with how it is specified; starting in section 6.6, I
am not sure that leaving that as "a matter of policy at each router" is
entirely right.

Also on buffering, I am wondering if the "start delivering buffered
packets" conditions (penultimate paragraph in 6.6, and of course through
the processing sections) is sufficient; I suspect that the condition "When
a valid route is installed" is not sufficient - that there are situations
where a routing table entry is installed, but the complete route is not
available or is not bidirectional?This obviously is related to RREP_Ack
being hop-by-hop and not end-to-end....

Either way, the parts of the specification that relate to buffering
contain a mixture of normative and non-normative verbiage (a lot of "can"
but also a lot of MUST/SHOULD) which I think could do with a tightening up.

But....is buffering even something that should be specified by this
document? It does not impact interoperability and it interferes
substantially with transport and congestion control, and I am not sure that
we understand the consequences (I am not convinced that the claims in the
document on benefits to TCP are substantiated or even true).

As I indicated, a complete review will follow, but I thought that these
was a global enough topics to call out and get engineered right.

Thomas

PS: I remain convinced that the security considerations section is
insufficient ; I will try to articulate my thoughts on why that is, but for
starters looking at the recently raised (by somebody else, the Chris
replied) AODV security questions would probably be helpful

On 10 Nov 2015, at 02:10, Ratliff, Stanley <sratliff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello WG participants –

The above referenced drafts were posted Oct. 13 (for AODVv2), and Oct. 16
(DLEP). The co-authors and the chairs ask that you please take some time to
review and comment on the new submissions.

Regards,

Stan

This electronic message and any files transmitted with it contains
information from iDirect, which may be privileged, proprietary
and/or confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the original
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the
intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email
in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email
in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender.